Saturday, March 24, 2012

Day Twenty four - Baked Nebraska



Challenge accepted.

So today I have deconstructed the baked nebraska (and will hopefully not die as a result). The components are:
- Beef from Scotland
- Whipped peppered garlic cream (with blended roasted garlic and lots of green, black and pink peppercorns stirred through).
- Ice cream in a mustard tuile in the middle of the plate (made very slightly sweet with whole grain mustard, chili, garlic and parsley, so basically a sort of chimichurri ice cream. It is hard to see in the picture, but I made a little mustard and parmesan tuile to put the ice cream in.)
- Rhubarb, poached in port, muscavado and bay leaf. Although this is not mentioned in the original recipe, I decided to use it on an impulse, and I am glad I did.

And I have to say - I was a fan of the ice cream and beef together. That was surprisingly nice. Highlights were the popping of the semi frozen wholegrain as you bit into them, and the sudden realisation in each mouthful of the heat coming through the cold chilis merging with the beef.
The cream was odd. Perhaps I should have made it more like a creamy pepper sauce, rather than a flavoured whipped cream dollop.


Poppy Trivia: If I have told you recently that I was too busy to do [x], I was likely churning my own home made chimichurri ice cream at the time. No ice cream machine for me, so this was a weekend of whipping the heck out of my ice cream custard every half hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment